SEATTLE BUKKYO SEINENKAI (Seattle Young Buddhist Association)
started on November 15, 1901, with Rev. Shodo Hatano as its first president and through the efforts of seven young men led by Chojiro Fujii and Jiro
Iwamura, our temple was established. Rev. Gendo Nakai arrived as our first resident minister in May 1902.

On January 27, 1906, articles of incorporation were filed with the State of Washington incorporating the Buddhist Mission Society and its first corporate officers included Gendo Nakai, Selma Anderson, Charles P. Rowland, and Chojiro Fujii.

The temple constructed at 1020 Main Street in 1908 was dedicated as the Seattle Temple of the Hompa Hongwanji although temple business was conducted through the Buddhist Mission Society. In October 1949, the temple name was legally changed to Seattle Buddhist Church, and since March 11, 1954, was commonly called the Seattle Betsuin and since 1974 has been referred to as the Seattle Buddhist Temple.

From our historical records, we conclude that the Seinenkai later became the Issei menís organization, Gojikai, and the Issei womenís
organization, Seattle Buddhist Women's Association. Members of both groups were eligible for full temple membership as due paying Ijikai.

SEATTLE BETSU1N Seattle Buddhist Women's Association

2010 occasional SBBWA news updates 

The Seattle Seattle Buddhist Women's Association was organized in 1908 by Rev. Hoshin Fujii with nine members and is the oldest surviving organization within our temple. By 1911, the membership of 15 relied mainly on donations because annual dues were 25 cents. Activities included religious services, homemaking
classes, sewing circles, food bazaars, outings and visitations to homes and hospitals.

In 1930 Mrs. Zendo Aoki, wife of the temple minister, became the first official Seattle Buddhist Women's Association president. Membership at this time had grown to 133. The organization remained active until relocation in 1942. It was reactivated in